Media interviews: another phrase to avoid
I heard this on a media interview a few days ago:
“You don’t look seventy.”
- What does seventy look like? [Who knows?]
- Will the phrase create value for the audience? [No]
- Does this line rank as a key message? [Hardly]
- Will the phrase contribute to the ROI of that interview? [No]
- Since everything has an opportunity cost, the question becomes: “Does saying this take time away from saying something more important?” [Unfortunately yes]
Time is money and time is focus. Whenever speakers use unproductive lines in media interviews, they are cutting into their own message time and blunting the focus for their audience.
Omit needless/distracting lines.